Sunday, June 26, 2011

An unforgettable experience



When the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup released its schedule for the tournament, I saw the final was going to be played at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.

I knew I had to go to the match if the Mexican national soccer team made it to the final.

As I followed the Mexican soccer team closely throughout the tournament, beating Cuba and El Salvador 5-0 and beating Costa Rica 4-1 in grouping, I knew Mexico was going to advance all the way to the final.

As the semi-finals came and I saw Mexico was going to take on Honduras and the U.S. was going to take on Panama. I knew Mexico was going to face the U.S. in the final.

At that moment everything came full circle and the ultimate fan experience I could ever have was becoming a reality.

The two countries have so much respect for each other but when it comes down to it--they both hate each other when it comes to seeing who is better in soccer.

The match was set up perfect: Mexico was favorites in the match, they were playing in Los Angeles where Mexico had the most supporters, Mexico never beat the U.S.'s "A-team" on U.S. soil and all of my favorite Mexican soccer players were playing in the match.

I do not know where to begin to say how I felt being at the match in person to witness history live.

But ...

A fight almost broke out in front of me between a American supporter and a Mexican supporter after another Mexican supporter threw a beer at a group of American supporters following a goal by the U.S.

I was six rows from the sideline and my favorite soccer players were less than 15 feet from me.

Mexico made one of the most incredible comebacks in its international soccer history, as they scored four unanswered goals following two straight goals from the U.S. to win the match 4-2.

I was feet away from the Gold Cup after Mexico ran around the field hoisting its sixth Gold Cup trophy.

The experience I had at the match was amazing and I believe it is one of my all-time memorable memories of my life.

The feeling of being Mexican is pleasant and being able to see the performance of the Mexican soccer team come back and defeat the Americans, in a sport that U.S. has dominated Mexico in, was brilliant and I was proud of the team, the country and myself because I felt the win was a sign of how hope is never lost and anything is possible.

The match was truly a dream come true for me.

I told my friend who went with me to the game, "This match might be the closes thing to the FiFA World Cup that we will ever get to experience."

No comments:

Post a Comment